Because January is the month of new beginnings, and often renewed commitments to health, I’ve been sharing clean eating recipes on my blog to help jumpstart 2015 with a healthier, stronger, you!
In that spirit, I decided to share a simple, clean-eating recipe for steel cut oatmeal, served two ways!
What I love most about steel-cut oatmeal is how good it is for you! It has such a wonderful texture and helps get me through even the most hectic of mornings without feeling hungry because, let’s be honest, mid-morning hunger is the worst.
First up are these steel-cut oats with coconut milk, pomegranate and cacao nibs topped with a sprig of fresh mint. I wanted to make sure this oatmeal was not only delicious, but also packed with nutrients so, here is a breakdown of the nutritional value you get from one serving of this amazing oatmeal.
- Coconut milk: Prevents and protects from infection, provides the good kind of fat needed for your body to function.
- Pomegranate: Filled with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin K (bone health), and vitamin B5 (helps your body metabolize protein, carbohydrates, and fats).
- Cacao nibs: Antioxidants (these fight off free radical damage in your body), fiber, Magnesium (helps with muscle and nerve function), and Potassium (helps promote organ function)
- Mint: Helps promote digestion, can improve your skin (huge plus for me), and can even help improve your memory!
Impressive, right? What an awesome way to start your morning off! And putting it together takes less than 30 minutes. To help speed up the process, I like to prep my oatmeal the night before but, for the early risers, this can also be done same day.
Start by boiling about 3 cups of water (this may vary depending on your serving size). Once boiling, add the oatmeal and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes. While the oatmeal is cooking, prepare your toppings!
In a large bowl, add your quartered pomegranate and cover with cold water then, using your fingers, gently pull the seeds away from the rind. Once finished, skim the top of the water with a sieve to remove the rind and then place the cleaned seeds in a bowl.
To a bowl, add the oatmeal then drizzle with coconut milk and top with fresh mint, cacao nibs, and pomegranate seeds and eat!
For the second version of this oatmeal, I actually got my inspiration from my days back in university. When I was a freshman, I had a dining card and every morning would walk to the Jamba Juice (please tell me you’ve heard of it?!) and order their steel cut oats with cinnamon and baked apples.
It was deliciously sweet, and so comforting that it has remained my favorite breakfast, ever. But I had never thought to recreate it until now!
Even though it’s been a few years, I can tell you that this tastes just as amazing as the original (maybe even better).
For this version, cook the oatmeal as described above then preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dice the apples then toss together with the honey, cinnamon, and coconut sugar and spread evenly on the baking sheet. Cook for about 20 minutes.
Once ready, simply add the oatmeal to a bowl and top with a generous serving of the baked apples and a sprinkle of your favorite granola and serve! And in case you’re curious about the health benefits of this version…
- Apples: Vitamin C, dietary fiber
- Honey: Prevents fatigue, helps build immunity against disease and infection
- Steel Cut Oatmeal: Decrease heart disease risk, help control blood pressure, fiber, protein, and iron.
Now go get yourself an awesome breakfast!
- 1 cup uncooked steel cut oatmeal
- 3 cups water
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. cacao nibs
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds (see above for how to prepare)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (I used unsweetened)
- 1 apple (diced)
- 2 tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbs. coconut sugar
- In a medium-sized pot boil the 3 cups of water. Once boiling add the steel cut oatmeal then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the oats to a small bowl and top with coconut sugar, mint, pomegranate seeds and cacao nibs. Serve immediately.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375. Add the diced apple, cinnamon, coconut sugar, and honey to a small bowl and toss together. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes or until the apples are soft and golden. Serve immediately.
Get INSTANT ACCESS To 110+ Fat Burning Recipes You Can Prepare for Your Whole Family!
You are not failing your Diet, your Diet is failing you - keep reading to find out why 99% of mainstream cookbooks set you up for failure. So if you're ready for a cookbook that will totally change the way you think about fat loss, plus bring a new joy of cooking into your life, it's time that you picked up your copy of Family Friendly Fat Burning Meals.
The FFF Burning Meals Book Includes:
- - 110+ Fat Burning Recipes
- - A bonus you will recieve 8 weeks of dinner menus & grocery lists
- - A bonus 27 fat burning dessert cookbook
- - A bonus fast start guide
- - A bonus guide detailing what foods not to let your kids eat
Get Lean & Stay Lean with the simple Family Friendly Fat Burning Meals Cookbook!
(Instant Download HERE)